IslandVegetarian

Eating no meat, many miles of open water away from a health food store. Recipes and anecdotes galore!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Long Overdue Fiddleheads

So, we finished the spring run of Pirates of Penzance last weekend. We had tons of company (six different people over the course of the week) and I have been totally exhausted. Now, having slept at least ten hours for the past two nights, I finally feel ready to update el bloggo, with a post that's been overdue for about a month.

FIDDLEHEADS!

Tiny baby ostrich ferns, curled up and hidden under dead leaves. I'd been looking for some when I went foraging with Kate, but it was about a week early then. I went out again on my own in the swamp at the street edge of our property, and found enough for two small helpings.

Ostrich ferns grow covered in brown scaly stuff. It's important to know the difference between them and the other fern babies around. The white fuzzy ones and the reddish ones are no good. Ostrich ferns are also the most delicately leaved - you can look for the dead ferns on the ground and you're almost guaranteed to find some fiddleheads, if you go looking in early May.

Once you have them (it took me about an hour to pick enough for two people as a snack,) clean 'em, rinse 'em, and sautee them in butter. Mmm. Very springy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home