IslandVegetarian

Eating no meat, many miles of open water away from a health food store. Recipes and anecdotes galore!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Matua Valley Wines




Delicious. I mentioned this bottle of wine in my last post, and then decided to go on the company's Web site and learn more.

  • Matua Valley Wines


  • Their Sauvignon Blanc, with which I am mildly obsessed, is the first Sauvignon Blanc to come from New Zealand. The Spence family, who make the wines (and they produce many many different types) spent some time in California during THAT wine boom, and have been making wine in New Zealand since wines have been made in New Zealand, as far as I can tell.

    I sent some fan mail to their sales address and got a response almost immediately (well, about twelve hours later - they are on the other side of the world and all that) thanking me for the ego boost to the vintners and promising to pass the message along directly. Right now, I wish I could go live in New Zealand, especially if everyone is so gracious.

    I'm not sure why I love it so much,but I guess it's just everything I look for in a Sauvignon Blanc, which is my favorite kind of wine to drink anyway. I'm not an oenophile by any means, but I know what I like. I like something light and citrusy, not wimpy or too sweet. I like zesty, zingy, fresh, all those Sauvignon Blanc words. I don't remember ever noticing this wine when I was in Boston, and I was always on the lookout for a nice mid-rangey SB. (This one goes for about $15 on the island.) I think it's only been internationally distributed for a short time. Somehow, we get it at the North Haven Grocery (which actually has one of the best wine selections I've ever seen, especially of smaller labels.) I guess it makes sense - one island to another.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home